Monday, February 1, 2010

Monday, 1 February 2010

Yeah, it's Monday...you know how you almost always get a mental blank when someone asks you what you had for dinner the night before? It's like, it doesn't even matter how spectacular it is, once it's eaten and your plate's gone, you've had a good sleep and the next day is over you're, like, what on EARTH did I EAT!

Upon asking my boyfriend, he can't remember either. Must have been good.

I did a "big" shop on Sunday and spent exactly $40 on staple items such as flour, eggs, milk, cereal, and various fruit and vegies. It's been pointed out to me that I don't mention many vegetables in this blog, and I have decided this must change. Starting tomorrow, because ironically we had none with dinner tonight. Oops.

Anyhoo, tonight we had chicken carbonara, and it was gooood. So good, in fact, I've remembered we had it.

$3.00 -- Chicken breast
$1.25 -- Small tub of thickened cream
$0.60 -- 50g shredded ham (Yes, I do really ask for just 50 grams of the stuff, and yes, I do occasionally get weird looks from the people behind the deli counter, but what's the point in getting more than I need?)

Dinner tonight: $4.85
Total spent: $4.85


Serves 3 or 4, depending on serving size.

1 chicken breast, sliced, diced, or however you'd like it
2 eggs
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (I use the cheap nasty stuff and still love it)
Around 100mL of thickened cream
2 teaspoons powdered chicken stock
50g shredded ham
Desired amount of pasta

(1) Start your water boiling for your pasta.

(2) Fry your chicken in a small amount of oil and butter. Remove from pan, and add the shredded ham. Cook for just a minute or two.

(3) Add your pasta to the boiling water. Cook required time.

(4) Drain pasta and return to saucepan over a low heat. Add ham and cream, stir well. Add the 2 eggs, again, stirring well. Add the parmesan cheese and mix (or stir...again) well.

(5) Serve topped with the chicken.


It should be noted that I just remembered what we had for dinner last night! We had very small pieces of steak, marinated in a barbecue rub, served with tonnes - and I mean, literally half of my plate kind of tonnes - of vegetables. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment